Friday, March 16, 2007

Glad-Handing

My girls reminded me today how much I’ve changed in being protective toward them. First, we shake everyone’s hands – everyone’s – wherever we go. There’s no barrier of class or race or gender or what they just finished handling; it’s the first, basic common courtesy. Sophia (3) even knows, thanks to the good examples of other young children, that she is expected to shake hands with anyone we meet. The first couple weeks I carried hand wipes or hand sanitizer with me (to use discreetly after hand shaking). But I haven’t had wipes or sanitizer in my purse in months. We haven’t gotten sick, either. I think we’re all stronger for it…

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am confused and don't understand why you would routinely wash your hands after shaking somebody's hand in the first place. Is this something you do when you are at home in the U.S?

Homa said...

Thanks for calling me on what did not come out right. Sometimes we shake hands with dozens of people at the same time. i see the kids or adults have just emerged from relieving themselves. many, young kids especially, have green runny noses. food is eaten by hand and debris might remain on the fingers. In the US i make my kids (and myself) frequently wash hands, especially during cold season. because there is often no access to water, i carried the wipes.

Anonymous said...

it's very common to use sanitizer/wash hands routinely when you shake many people's hands. nothing wrong with that at all.

::N:: said...

Paris is a very dirty city...I make it a point to always carry hand sanitizers in my bag and use it after I use the metro. Call me paranoid but I think it helps overall....

Anonymous said...

"Paris a dirty city" ???

It's just your horrible American-Iranian mind that is dirty.

Paris is gorgeous, France is great, and you're a hygien freak.



Shabnam, a French-Iranian