Monday, March 26, 2007

Gambia – No Problem

Some of the guys (and kids) push-starting the car


The Gambia’s motto is “Africa’s Smiling Coast.” I also often hear “Gambia – No Problem.” As our days in Africa are winding down, it occurs to me that there is much behind these slogans.

On Thursday, the mottos rang so true, as twice on the road the Pathfinder wouldn’t start, and people all around – as if emerging from the woodwork – came out to help. The car needed to be push-started with some muscle and some finesse, so lots of guys came to the rescue to push and the first time, a driver for a bank, and the second time, a taxi driver, stopped everything to make sure I was safely back on the road. As I thanked people during the process I repeatedly heard “no problem” and “Gambia – No Problem.”

I kept thinking “What a great place to have your car break-down.” This is another example of the local strengths. These people who helped me may not have had great means, but their generous spirit shines through. Everyone pulls together and no one is left stranded.

No comments: