Thursday, January 4, 2007

Busy Being Blessed

In preparation for the trip, the past 48 hours have been nothing but surprises and delays: health insurance glitches, new car breakdown, long downtown meetings, unavoidable waits at the doctors' office; and good things, like a lovely Persian-German dinner party at my dear friend Maryam's home, which was so nice we didn't want to leave.

Another long-time and dear friend, Candyce, shared with me that when she tried to explain where her days go and why she is so busy all the time, she realized that she is "busy being blessed." Without being mindful of these blessings, we end up stressed, harried, maybe unhappy. So, when the meningitis vaccine took 2.5 hours of my day today instead of the 15 minutes it should have, I practiced deep breathing, hugged Sophia close, played with her in the waiting room, and remembered the wisdom Candyce passed along. Besides, everyone at Paoli Traveler's Health is just so nice...

"When there is love, nothing is too much trouble and there is always time." I try to live my life by this quote from the Baha'i Writings (www.bahai.org). I need to keep remembering this idea during these days of preparation, and especially, once we arrive in Africa -- where the pace of life will be so different from mine in the US.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time in africa.

Anonymous said...

Homa, I'm so excited about your trip and am really enjoying your posts, especially since I'll be taking my family to Israel in June. HAVE FUN!