Saturday, February 17, 2007

Youssou N’Dour-In Style

It is 3:45 a.m. as I write this and we’ve just come home from the Gala Night for the Gambian Independence Day celebration, featuring international icon and UNICEF cultural amabassador, Youssou N’Dour. We live just over a mile away from the venue and until a moment ago I could still hear the music blaring from the concert.

One of the platinum sponsors, a non-governmental healthcare organization, had two extra tickets that they offered to us and I was delighted to have the chance to hear Youssou in a more intimate concert. (This was a benefit for “Operation Save a Baby” and “Women Empowerment”.) We thought we wouldn’t go too early for the dinner and program, so we arrived close to 10 pm for what was advertised to start at 8 pm. Dinner was served close to midnight and was followed by a few warm-up bands, by the young woman who sings and raps the jingles for mobile phone operator, performing all their campaign commercials, then power point videos on large screens about the two big sponsors, the telephone company and the cell phone operator.

These were followed by a fashion show of two local designers, with 30-40 different dresses modeled by all shapes and sizes of gorgeous women. This was fitting with the setting. I have never seen such an array of styles, bling, and formalwear worn by both men and women. The women in particular were stunning. The range of hairstyles could fill a book, the gowns (90% were in long evening dresses and most of these were in the West African style) had so much pizzazz, and nothing was spared on accessories (including matching shoes and headdresses) or make-up. In comparison, with my black flouncy beaded silk blouse and black skirt, moderate heels and the fanciest jewelry I brought with me for the trip, I looked like such a plain Jane. But it was a smorgasbord for people-watching.

Finally, at 1:55 a.m. the headliner came on. I expected loud cheering, whistles, the usual build-up for a super-star, but it did not happen. I don’t think it was because the crowd was too sleepy. They just don’t do that. It seemed to be more like a homecoming. Youssou N’Dour is a Senegalese of the Wolof ethnic group. Wolof is the dominant local language spoken around Banjul, and while he has hits in French and other languages, the entire concert was in Wolof. About half the audience of about 1,200 people came to the front of the stage and danced and sang along, enjoying the pop-flavored traditional music and the large band in the background, playing instruments ranging from the traditional kora and African drums to the electrical guitar and keyboards.

Youssou N’dour’s music appeals to audiences across all ages, economic levels and ethnic backgrounds. He will give two more concerts this weekend for Independence Day, both filling the national stadium.

Now it’s past 4 a.m. and I must get up in about two hours as we are going up-country for the weekend…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

3 comments:

Knittah said...

I saw N'Dour in concert many years ago, on an early date with my husband in fact! It was a powerful, almost prayerful, experience.

Anonymous said...

You are not saying as much about the children and their experience recently. I wonder how things are going with them and whether they continue to see this as a positive experience or whether they are just counting the days when they can be back home with their daddy and in their suburban Philadelphia home.

It's an interesting dilemna, isn't it? On one hand, I am sure you are interested in giving your children an experience they will never forget, and yet, you may push them into feeling like they'll never want an experience like this again. One would assume that because they have family there, it is different, but could they be thinking, "Mom - that was a very interesting few months, but it was so disgusting that I'd never want to go back", or will they say, "Gosh - I learned so much. I take so much for granted in the US. Maybe I shouldn't care as much about my clothes and my hair, etc."

Only time will tell, eh?

Anonymous said...

Traveling to a developing country when I was young, I didn't appreciate all that was happening and all that I was experiencing at the time. Later in life I really felt the depth of the experience. i think this kind of experience for children will be beneficial and profound in so many ways, even if the benefits are not apparent now. I think this is a courageous and wonderful experience you have chosen for your children!